Saturday, September 10, 2011

Two Weeks to Prepare for Tomorrow

I got here two weeks ago today, and it's been exponentially more than I ever imagined! A lot of us keep catching ourselves forgetting that this is home for the next year. We keep trying to cram as much in as possible every day thinking that we are just here on vacation. I haven't been able to post much because of the internet connection. My entire 11 story building is all on the same server, so it tends to get a bit slow. I bought a wireless card from one of the local cell phone providers, but it's actually worse than the apartment's connection. I'll catch you up on the remainder of orientation when I can figure out how to get a better connection.

The returning staff got here a week ago and we all started back to school getting our rooms ready and such. It's been complete chaos. I came from a school district that had their stuff together pretty well. I didn't realize it until I came here. Everyone except the Arabic and Islam teachers and a few assistants are from overseas, which means not much gets done in the summer. They have tried to get everything done in the last three weeks. They keep telling me that everything will magically come together on Sunday. I walked into a classroom with no projector, computer, or the promised smartboard and an unhung whiteboard. After my principal popped her head in to tell me I might be gaining another class, and she noticed that I had nothing, a few people started paying attention. The "wasta" at the school came in and started getting things put together. They all started speaking in another language, but it's good to know that it might actually get done now that the right people know. Turns out filling out a maintenance/IT request form really doesn't mean anything.

I took so much for granted in the states. Small things like making copies or logging on to see class rosters, or even having a computer are conveniences that I never even thought twice about...not to mention having toilet paper instead of a bidet. I still don't have class rosters, but I am hoping the people that show up in my class are where they are supposed to be. I'll make rosters from those who are present.

I'm typically not a complainer, and I'm really not that frustrated about the whole situation. All of it is completely out of my control, and worrying/stressing over it really doesn't bring anything positive to the situation. I decided at the beginning of the year that I wanted to go experience teaching in another country, and that's exactly what I'm doing. I am thoroughly absorbing all of it...the good and the not so good. My job is still the same: educate the next generation. Tomorrow morning at 7:30am (I just called Waheed to pick me up at 5:45 so I can get there earlier than everyone else to take advantage of copying), the girls will come in to start another year of school. I'll be starting my fourth year as a teacher, and in so many ways, it feels like my first. I don't know what to expect this year. I'm not sure if I'll absolutely love it, or if I'll be counting down the days until I can restart life in Dallas.  Either way, I'll make the most of this school year. I'm going to completely take advantage of this opportunity. It's not very often that we can just up and leave a life that's so familiar to us just to go experience a different culture.

On a more positive note, we had orientation on Thursday. I have never had more than a hand-full show up for orientation when I was working in Texas. I made about 20 copies of all of my documents for orientation, and I had to go make more. I had about 65 of my 125 students show up. The parents are really supportive of their daughter's education. Several of them asked if I needed anything to make the school year better, and they all gave me an extremely warm welcome to Kuwait. The girls were anxious to get their syllabus and had several questions about the course. I'm really looking forward to working with all of them!

I tried uploading a few pictures, and this is as far as I got with my connection. I really have to figure out how to get this internet better!
This is a view of my room from my desk. We have a separate room for a lab, but I haven't seen it yet. We also have a lab tech who sets up/puts away labs for us! I'm also pretty excited about my window. I've never had one in my classroom. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love and miss you. So excited to read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete