Saturday, August 18, 2012

Mr. A-Z is my new life coach...here's why

Last weekend I was so privileged to go to Jason Mraz's sound check before his concert at Gexa Energy Pavillion in Dallas. I totally wish we could have stayed for the concert, but it wasn't an option. Since then, my friend and I have become quite the Mraz researchers. I've liked him since I was a sophomore in college. I knew every word of his all of his songs. I never really read up on him at the time, but I'm quickly finding out that he's much more than just an awesome musician. He's an amazing human being. He strives to travel the world and build community wherever he ends up. Here are a few links to some awesome videos for you guys to get an idea of how awesome he is!

This one is one of his newest songs. If you've never seen VH1 storytellers, what happens is he explains the motivation behind the song before he performs it. I absolutely loved this song when it came out, but now I love it even more knowing the reason for the writing. It really hit home for me. When I first went to kuwait, I knew I was making the right move, but I was so torn. I'm struggling with this again as I pack up and head back to the sandbox. I've rekindled old friendships and it's hard to get in a mindset to leave it all again. Before he sings, he talks about having to make a decision to drop everything and stay with a girl, or to go navigate the world and grow. Listen. It's great.


I Won't Give Up (VH1 Storytellers): Jason Mraz performs "I Won't Give Up" for VH1 Storytellers in New York City.

This video is a segment of something that may or may not become a documentary. Everywhere Mraz travels, he makes a short clip of his time. This has been an inspiration to me. I've been so horrible at documenting my travels this past year. Pictures are great, but I always rely on someone else to take them. Listen to John Mayer's song "3x5". It will explain my thoughts exactly. This year, I'm going to be better at documenting. I'll definitely blog more and I'm going to buy a flip camera that's simple to carry around a pull out any time I want to document something. This is Mraz's clip from Morocco - somewhere I'll probably never go actually.



Lastly, this is a new favorite of mine of his. He has a heart for traveling, so a lot of his songs hit so close to home, but this is one is my favorite. It's another VH1 Storytellers clip. Listen to his personal definition of "home". It's pretty amazing!

93 Million Miles (VH1 Storytellers): Jason Mraz performs "93 Million Miles" for VH1 Storytellers in New York City.

If you weren't a Mraz fan before this, I hope you're one now. He's definitely figured it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment